This vegan potato and onion cream soup is hearty, warming, and very tasty!
I LOVE potatoes, and most of my dishes start with sauteeing onion, so making this soup was a no brainer! With hints of thyme and nutmeg, it is a beautiful flavour combination.
If you’re looking for a warming soup, that the whole family will love, this will undoubtedly be a winner. My not-so-excited-about-soup husband even loves it!
With most other vegan potato soup recipes out there using coconut milk or cream, you will be pleased to know that this one doesn’t use either. No coconut ingredients in this soup!
It gets its creamy texture from the potatoes themselves, added with some soy milk and nutritional yeast for that beautiful cheesy undertone.
On that note, it’s also flour-free, making it naturally gluten-free.
How do you make potato soup from scratch?
Making this soup could not be any easier! All you need is one pot and just under an hour to make this from start to finish.
With less than ten ingredients, I imagine that most of these ingredients would be in your fridge and pantry already.
To get the full list of ingredients and instructions, keep going down the page.
This vegan potato soup is:
- Silky smooth
This post may contain affiliate links, for which we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love for you to leave a comment and rating below. If you want to go that extra mile, tag us on Instagram, or share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest. Or pin it to make later!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Creamy, rich and comforting vegan potato and onion soup that is the perfect way to warm up.
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 medium-sized potatoes, chopped
- 2 small sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups (500ml) unsweetened plain soy milk
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock or boiling water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the onions to a large saucepan on high heat with the lid fully on for around a minute or two.
- Add in the oil and stir consistently for a minute until they start to colour nicely.
- Add in the garlic and stir for an additional minute. You’ll release a beautiful aroma.
- Now add in the potatoes, thyme, nutmeg, soy milk and veg stock/water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and allow to simmer for 25 minutes or until the potato falls apart when you pierce a knife through it.
- Once it’s cooked, stir in the nutritional yeast. Remove the thyme sticks (the leaves would have fallen off into the soup for flavour).
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend the soup until smooth. Just be careful not to burn yourself.
- Season to taste and serve straight away. Add optional toppings*.
* I added some cracked pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, some fried onion and a sprig of thyme (for decoration). I also served it with toast that has been spread with an olive oil, garlic, parsley and salt mix.
Other great vegan recipes:
- Vegan Mushroom & Thyme Soup
- Pumpkin and Chickpea Soup with Curried Croutons
- Hearty Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Three Incredibly Simple Silverbeet Recipes
- One-Pot French Lentil, Mushroom and Sage Stew