Vegan mug cake, sweet and ready in less than 10 minutes with only 9 ingredients. It is the perfect quick and delicious treat, snack, or dessert!
The other day I felt like eating something sweet – but I didn’t want to spend a lot of time preparing it. I didn’t want to turn on the oven, because it is SO hot right now! So I decided to try a vegan mug cake… And it left me speechless!
It is SUPER easy to make. It is actually ready in just 7 minutes! The best part of this vegan chocolate mug cake is that you don’t need to use the oven to make it, so the process is all really quick and clean. Truly out of this world!
Vegan mug cake recipe – Short video
How to make vegan mug cake – Step by step
- Add all the dry ingredients to a mug (photo 1) and mix until well combined (photo 2).
- Incorporate all the remaining ingredients except the vegan chocolate chips (photo 3) and mix again (photo 4).
- Add the chocolate chips (photo 5) and mix one more time (photo 6).
- Cook in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes (photo 7).
- Serve your vegan mug cake immediately (photo 8).
Vegan mug cake ingredients and tips
- All-purpose flour: I’ve only made this vegan mug cake recipe using all-purpose flour, but I think you can also use a different type of flour. However, you may need to adjust the amount of it.
- Granulated sugar: feel free to use other types of sugar, like brown, coconut, or cane sugar. Make sure the sugar you’re using is vegan.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: you could probably make your vegan chocolate mug cake using carob powder, but I’ve never tried it myself. Keep in mind that carob powder is sweeter than cocoa powder, so you may need to add less sugar.
- Baking powder.
- Salt: I used iodized salt, but any salt will do.
- Unsweetened plant milk: any type of unsweetened plant milk will work, such as cashew milk, almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or even hemp milk. However, soy milk is my favorite one for baking.
- Oil: feel free to customize this vegan chocolate mug cake with any type of oil. I like canola or sunflower oil because they have a neutral flavor, unlike extra virgin olive oil. Coconut oil is also a good choice, but you should use it melted.
- Vanilla extract: I always use homemade vanilla extract as it’s more affordable and extremely easy to make, but the store-bought version is also a good choice for this vegan mug cake recipe.
- Vegan chocolate chips: this ingredient is completely optional. You could also add some chopped chocolate bark instead.
- You can have a vegan mug cake as a dessert, for breakfast, or as a snack with a cup of turmeric latte, golden milk, or matcha latte, or even with your avocado smoothie, vegan protein shake, or banana milk.
Looking for more vegan desserts?
Did you make this vegan mug cake recipe?
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsweetened plant milk, I used soy milk
- 1 tbsp oil, I used canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) to a mug and mix until well combined.
- Incorporate all the remaining ingredients except the vegan chocolate chips and mix again.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix one more time.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t spill over.
- Serve your vegan mug cake immediately as a dessert, for breakfast, or as a snack with a cup of turmeric latte, golden milk, or matcha latte, or even with your avocado smoothie, vegan protein shake, or banana milk.
- Best when fresh, you can keep this vegan chocolate mug cake covered at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Feel free to use any type of sugar and oil you want to make this vegan mug cake.
- Soy milk can be replaced with cashew milk, almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or even hemp milk.
- Salt is optional, but it enhances the flavor of the vegan chocolate mug cake.
- If you can’t find vegan chocolate chips, omit this ingredient or use some chopped chocolate bark instead. This vegan mug cake recipe will be equally delicious!
- Serving Size: 1 vegan mug cake
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 27.9 g
- Sodium: 168 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1 g
- Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 3.9 g