When I smell dill, I straight away think of peas and potatoes. This potato, pea, and dill soup is my favourite way to use these three ingredients together.
It’s such a comforting dish. I love to enjoy it as a quick and easy dinner or serve it up as an entree when people come over.
I haven’t used dill too much in my cooking, but recently I’ve been inspired as I’ve watched a few Swedish cooking shows, and they use it a lot. You can pretty much turn anything into a Swedish dish by adding some dill to it!
I love the fact that dill is still a very accessible herb, but isn’t overused.
This potato, pea and dill soup consists of straightforward and minimal ingredients. These are the ingredients that you’ll find in this dish:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic (and lots of it!)
- Green peas
- Fresh dill
- Seasoning of salt and pepper
Play around with texture in this soup to suit you
This dill soup is wonderfully creamy, yet no cream is used. That’s the beauty of potatoes. They can quickly turn a soup creamy when you blend some or all of it.
In this recipe, I blend a portion of the soup to give it that extra depth of texture.
You can leave it if you want a more chunky soup, or feel free to blend the whole lot if you want a cream soup. It’s really up to you!
Let me know if you wish to see more soups like this one in the comments below. I’ve enjoyed making simple recipes that have a great flavour profile. A win, win situation.
If you’re after another recipe that uses fresh dill on our website, then check out this Vegan Olivier Salad.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I would love for you to leave a comment and rating below. If you want to go that extra mile, tag us on Instagram, or share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest. Or Pin It for later!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
A beautifully creamy vegan super easy potato, pea and dill soup. Great as an entree for four or as a main for two. A comforting meal option!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium (600g) potatoes (ideally a yellow flesh variety), chopped into small cubes
- 2 ½ cups (300g) fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 cup (firmly packed) fresh dill, finely chopped + extra for garnish*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan on medium-high heat, add the onion and place the lid on fully to trap the heat and let the onion caramelize. Once it starts to brown, stir in the olive oil and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until you have a nice colour on the onions and garlic. I like to stir it well at this point.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and put the lid on fully for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in 750ml to 1 litre boiling water, making sure that all the ingredients are immersed and have an additional inch of water. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the peas and continue cooking until the potatoes are done.
- Stir in the dill, and seasoning cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- With a blender, add between 2-3 cups of the soup and blend until smooth. You can do this in the pot with a stick blender as well and blend on pulse until around ⅓ of the soup is smooth.
- If using a stand-alone blender, pour the creamed soup into the pot and stir well.
- Serve with some extra cracked pepper and some fresh dill on top.
*measured before chopping
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Potato and Onion Cream Soup (Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Mushroom & Thyme Soup
- Red Lentil Stew with Potatoes and Peas
- Hearty Vegan Minestrone Soup
- One-Pot French Lentil, Mushroom and Sage Stew